Sunday, August 12, 2012

Back home

I've been back in Gambia for a few weeks now. It’s been great being back. I've really enjoyed being back in my own house. I don't even know why I'm so glad to be back in my smelly, soggy part of the city, but somehow or another I don’t know anywhere else I’d rather be. I’m going to try and be better about writing about this place.
Today’s story- Toubab I lafita denaano? (Foreigner, do you want this baby?)
A few days ago, I was walking home from work and I could hear some kids talking about me from a little ways off.  There were a few kids about 10-12 years old and one of the girls had a baby tied on her back, probably a younger sibling she was supposed to watch.  One of the boys was saying “here comes a toubab.  Ask it to buy this baby.” Then it became a song- “the toubab’s going to buy this baby.” Then I got to the group of kids and I was presented with the baby.  They were going to give it to me at a great price of 1 dalasi (less than a nickel), but I turned them down.  I’m just not equipped for a baby, but I told them maybe later.
Today, I was walking towards the road near my house and I met a totally different group of kids.  These were a little younger and didn’t have the baby they were referring to out on display, but they also asked if I wanted a baby several times.  Weird new trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment