Saturday, January 30, 2010

Jola

I am going to be finishing up Jola classes today.  We are on our break right now.  I'm pretty excited about how well Jola has gone.  Our class goal today is to try and see how long we can have a conversation in Jola without breaking down to using English.  They're by no means deep, meaningful conversations but I feel pretty proud of myself right now.  We've ben doing so much practice on asking questions about people and their families, etc. - all the basic get to know you stuff- that we got bored with eachothers answers, so in the last couple of days we've been pretending to be celebrities speaking Jola.  We've used Britney Spears, Hillary Clinton, Paris Hilton, Angelina Jolie, etc.  It's been pretty fun and I think it makes us better because we can't just rattle off the phrases about our families and stuff that we have memorized; we have to actually think about the answers.  Usually with a celebrity, you can come up with much more entertaining questions and anwers than you can for yourself, so that adds another layer of fun.


I took a picture of a page from my Jola notebook. It's just a bunch of random vocabulary, but if anyone really wants to see what some jola words are like, you can click on the picture and it should get big enough for you to read.

1 comment:

  1. So I guess you're about to head out to your village soon? We have about 4 inches of snow with an inch of ice on top - the ice doesn't even break when you walk on it! It's crazy. It hasn't snowed this much since Senior year!! I'm still waiting to build a snowman. We'll have to chip through the ice to get to the snow. Must be nice to be somewhere warm :) But at least we get snow days here!!

    ReplyDelete