Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pictures

Sorry everybody- the pictures ended up in reverse order:



This is a monkey at a hotel we stayed at on our environmental sector field trip.  These monkeys would even come up to you and steal food off you plate if you turned you back on it for a second.


This is part of my family from training village on Tobaski (a Muslim holiday).


These are the trainees in my training village (Kaiaf). Our families dressed us up for our naming ceremonies.  I got my name Sally Barrow that day, but my name has since changed to Salli Sanneh.


This is my bathroom from Kaiaf.  Where it is wet is where you bathe and the toilet is on the right.


This is the day we moved in to Kaiaf.  In the very front of the line of people is a donkey cart with all of our stuff on it.


This is right before we moved out to our training villages.  The cars are getting loaded up while all of us trainees get nervous.



The beach in Komboo.  The Gambia is Beautiful!

6 comments:

  1. well I tried to post on here once but apparently it didn't stick... or it's just not showing up on my computer. oh well

    why did they give you a new name? I think you are more of a lindsay than a salli :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They give most PCTs a new name. It just helps us to integrate into the culture. People have a really hard time with many American names- Lindsay being one of them. People REALLY can't say Roe here. In order to get people to understand that I am even saying a word when I say Roe I have to attempt to roll my R. One day I'm going to have to learn to roll Rs well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. got it. I definitely can't roll my R's. It sounds like I'm choking or something. I'm glad that everything is going so well for you! It looks like fun. Talk to ya later Salli!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it o.k. if we continue to call you Lindsay? Salli somehow just "isn't you". :) I love your last couple posts. Love the pictures and love you! I'm so happy when I get on here and see a new post. Take care Salli, er I mean Lindsay and have fun. You look SO happy! Love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely great pictures. I especially liked the one with you getting ready for the naming ceremony. It's great seeing you so happy. Love you.....Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a unique rawness in all the pictures shared in this post....
    gambia holidays

    ReplyDelete